PUPS 9: Final machine detailing

IN PROGRESS! Updating this page as I detail the designs over the weekend. Design worksheets are constantly in flux, so what I have posted here is a “snapshot” of each worksheet.

In this post I start with an overall summary of the machine, followed by a discussion of each module along with the calculations I did to support my design decisions. Any mistakes I made, are here for the world to see!

Machine summary

I designed the machine as three major modules – the X (feed) stage, Y (slice) stage, and Structure. Submodules include the X and Y built-up beams which comprise the structure, the knifeholder, and the specimen vise.

twoseventytome draft

X stage

x axis draft

• Bearings
    • Flexure
    • Gearbox supports leadscrew thrust, radial (backlash?)
  • Drive
    • Stepper motor with 14:1 reduction couple to 1/4-80 leadscrew
  • Decoupler
    • Leadscrew drives X stage through decoupling nut (design in progress)

x axis draft transparent

I’m working on a new concept for a knifeholder with high stiffness and large angle adjustment range based on line contact and planar kinematics (see video below…video worth a thousand words!). I need to figure out the details of preloading/stiffness/etc but the concept looks promising

Y stage

y axis draft
Draft of Y axis, needs to move at speeds of around 0.1 mm/s up to 10 mm/s. One of the bushings will be mounted on a blade flexure to relieve overconstraint and also to preload the bushings
  • Bearings
    • Two ball thrust bearings support the leadscrew’s thrust forces and one sleeve bearing supports it radially; other end unconstrained
  • Drive
    • Stepper motor with 10-32 leadscrew
  • Decoupler
    • Using the HeliCal coupling given to us
  • Supporting calculations

Structure

structure draft
I was choosing between single plates, box extrusion separating plates, and solid rails separating plates. I’m using my error budget to figure out what stiffness I should have